Courage in Leadership. A sympathetic ear to constituent concerns. A person who loves her community as much as you do. These are just a few of the things people look for in their elected officials, and these are just three of the values that I work to emulate as your Minnesota State Senator.
I have had the honor to serve the communities of Columbia Heights, Arden Hills, New Brighton, Shoreview, Hilltop, and parts of Fridley and St. Anthony Village for almost two years. Now the district has changed to cover all of Columbia Heights, Fridley, Hilltop, New Brighton, St Anthony Village and part of Spring Lake Park. I have made many good friends in Arden Hills and Shoreview which are no longer part of the district. I look forward to meeting and getting to know the many new faces in these communities.
I am not afraid to fight for our community, something that has proven invaluable given the current extremist leadership currently in control of the Minnesota legislature. I have stood up against the radical legislation and harmful budget manipulation that has come to characterize the extreme right’s approach to governance. When I’m not fighting for our neighborhoods in Anoka, Hennepin, and Ramsey Counties, I’m attending meetings and events locally, and helping constituents with problems they have with government or business.
If elected to another term in the Minnesota Senate, I will continue to support legislation that creates high paying jobs in our community and our state. I will continue to be a friend of the middle class, working people, pet lovers, nature lovers, women, parents, grandparents, students, small business owners, and the GLBT community. I will continue to oppose and educate the public on the potentially damaging impacts for Minnesota that the so-called “Right to Work”, Anti-Marriage and Voter Suppression amendments and proposals would have. I will also continue to work hard for you, because working hard for you and for our communities is what I love to do.
More about Barb:
- Married, spouse David Goodwin. Two adult married children Tony and spouse Katie, Heather and spouse Jacob Bronder, grandson Liam.
- Born and raised NE Mpls., Columbia Heights resident for 21 years.
- MN Government and Legislative Staff Management certificates from the Humphrey Institute. Bachelor Degree in Political Science and Sociology from Hamline University, Summa Cum Laude; Associate of Arts Degree from North Hennepin Community College.
- DFL House Caucus Staff Director; Business and Labor Researcher for MN House of Representatives 1985-1994.
- Legislative Affairs Director for MN Association of Professional Employees 1994-1998.
- Principal Planning Analyst, Children’s Mental Health, Hennepin County 1998-2002.
- State Representative, MN House of Representatives 2001-2007.
- Director, Columbia Heights School Board 2009-2010.
- Graduate School Instructor, Hamline Graduate School of Business 2008-2010. Taught Legislative Practice and Government Contracting.
- State Senator, MN Senate from 2011 – present.